Recent Mold Remediation Posts
Moisture & Mold Solutions for Your East Windsor Home or Business
If your New Jersey property mold damage is larger than 10 sq. ft, you should contact a mold remediation service like SERVPRO of East Windsor
Indoor humidity levels between 30% and 50% are ideal.
Moisture problems in your home have a variety of causes and can lead to major property damage and encourage harmful mold and mildew growth.
Common causes of Moisture and Mold in your home can be:
- Water from a leaking water pipe, toilet, shower or bathtub, also weather related flooding in your home. Depending on the severity, conditions can lead to rot, structural damage, premature paint failure, and a variety of health problems.
- Excessive moisture from condensation and high humidity can have negative effects on your property and may indicate poor ventilation or that repairs are needed.
- Water can seep into your house from the outside through a leak in your roof, foundation, or small gaps around windows or doors.
- Normal activities such as cooking, bathing, clothes drying and dish washing also add moisture to the air.
All of these common problems contribute to overall high indoor humidity levels leading to mold and mildew growth. Mold can grow quickly and spread fast if moisture is left untreated, under ideal conditions (optimal temperature and level of humidity) it takes 24-48 hours for mold growth to occur. Typically you will start to see visible mold in 12-20 days, the more time passes the greater chance for mold to develop and spread through your home.
When you find mold damage in your East Windsor or local New Jersey property it is essential to call for remediation services as quickly as possible, as mold can cause adverse health effects. Additionally, mold also leaves behind a musty smell and has the power to rot organic materials. For health and safety reasons, when you find mold, you should contact SERVPRO of East Windsor professionals and have them remediate it for you.
When SERVPRO of East Windsor arrives at your New Jersey home, we can swiftly inspect the mold damage and then identify a remediation strategy. The first step to containing the problem is to set up plastic sheeting, block vents and doorways, so the spores cannot spread while the colony is being removed.
Certified professionals have the training and experience to:
- Identify moisture sources
- Evaluate mold growth (visible or suspected)
- Contain damage to the smallest area possible
- Physically remove contamination
- Dry materials to ensure that mold will not return
- Perform or recommend procedures for returning property to a preloss condition
It is a good idea to inspect your New Jersey home or business regularly for any damage caused by moisture, if you notice any problems, take immediate action to fix them before they cause further damage or balloon into larger, more complicated issues. Here are some way you can reduce moisture and prevent damage in your home from water and mold.
- Install vent fans in kitchens and bathrooms.
- Run a dehumidifier.
- Cover dirt floors in crawl spaces with a plastic vapor barrier.
- Seal air and duct leaks.
- Houseplants can absorb moisture from the air
- Never let wet clothing or other fabrics lie around
- Avoid activities that add moisture to the air on humid days, such as taking hot showers and boiling water on the stove.
Indoor plants that help absorb moisture:
These are perfect plants to have in your home or business to help decrease moisture in the air, with the added bonus of purifying your air of certain contaminants at the same time.
Reed Palms, English Ivy, and Boston Ferns
These plants will reduce humidity levels by absorbing moisture from the air through their leaves.
Some moisture property problems require more complex solutions, and sources of moisture may be hidden.
Consult SERVPRO of East Windsor for a complete inspection if you have serious water damage or mold problems due to humidity, condensation or a water leak or flood. Luckily, our team at SERVPRO of East Windsor is highly qualified and trained in water and mold remediation and restoration services. Every New Jersey water and mold restoration situation is unique and we treat them that way.
We are here for you in these very stressful times, our team is Always Here to Help! Contact SERVPRO of East Windsor @ 609-443-9110!
Our experts will come in and assess your Northern/Eastern New Jersey water or mold problem, take the proper steps to limit additional damage. Our teams works quickly to eliminate the water, prepare the area for our advanced drying techniques, inspect for additional damage or mold and work with you to restore your property back to a stable, safe and healthy condition.
What Causes Mold Inside The Home?
Contact the professionals at SERVPRO of East Windsor to tackle any mold removal or mold remediation jobs.
All mold needs is water to thrive. Mold spores will begin spreading when they locate a wet surface. Some major spots mold can cover include:
- Bathrooms. Showers, sinks, and toilets are ideal for mold. These spots have a tendency to be spongy and, without capable ventilation, will develop mold.
- Air conditioning and vents.
- Fireplaces. If not used regularly, a chimney or fireplace is cold and dark—beneficial ground for mold spore development.
- Attics. If your rooftop drips, mold can congregate and spread through the ventilation in the frequently neglected space. It will prosper in ventilation or soffit vents.
- Cellars. A musty cellar smell is an affirmation of dampness, and—more than likely—mold. Mold could be discovered anywhere: the foundation, sump pump, windows, or vents.
Mold spread must be stopped by drying the moist conditions inside. If there is mold growing in your home it is vital to stop it as quickly as possible. In the wrong conditions, mold can spread rapidly—in as few as 24–48 hours.
If your home or business has mold it is crucial that you call a professional immediately. The professionals at SERVPRO of East Windsor will start by isolating and testing the area of concern. The Mold Remediation Specialists at SERVPRO of East Windsor are educated in water and mold evacuation. They're experts in recuperating your home from mold using the best equipment possible.
SERVPRO of East Windsor will review the harm and, if required by law, receive a protocol for a Certified Mold Assessor so they can begin to devise a methodology. They will then spotlight the issue and get the opportunity to work. Using physical barriers and a negative air pressure chamber, your SERVPRO of East Windsor expert will stop the mold so they can start cleaning and reestablishing your home.
The pros at SERVPRO of East Windsor are completely prepared for remediation, ensuring your home or business will be yours again in a matter of moments.
SERVPRO of East Windsor offers quick response 24 hours every day of the week.
Is Black Mold Really Dangerous?
SERVPRO of East Windsor has a team of trained specialists to handle any mold remediation/mold removal in your home or business.
We’ve all been there. You go into your basement or your bathroom and there, on the wall, you see it: black mold. You panic, because you’ve heard horror stories for years about the dangers of black mold, but is there really any truth to the hype?
In truth, the term “toxic black mold” is a misnomer with no scientific validation at all. In fact, the term “toxic mold” is also inaccurate. According to the CDC, “the term ‘toxic mold’ is not accurate. While some molds can produce toxins, specifically mycotoxins, the molds themselves are not toxic or poisonous”.
So what kinds of mycotoxins can black mold produce??The trichothecene types below are found in toxic black mold:
- Roridin E
- Satratoxin F, G and H (the most abundant type of trichothecene)
- Sporidesmin G
- Verrucarin J
Molds come in a rainbow of colors but it is the black mold species Stachybotrys chartarum that has been falsely dubbed “toxic black mold”. In reality, mold is everywhere in our environment, it’s the dosage that makes the poison.
There is no argument that excessive exposure to almost any type of mold can cause adverse health effects, no matter what the color.
In addition, mold growth can also damage buildings—weakening structure and causing unpleasant odors, as well as causing ugly staining. Cleaning mold is often exactly what causes it to spread; the process dislodges mold spores and allows them to travel into new areas of the environment.
To avoid this it’s best to call a professional when you suspect you have a mold issue in your home or business. SERVPRO of East Windsor has years of experience in mold removal and remediation and can ensure that any damage caused by mold is repaired properly, and completely. With SERVPRO of East Windsor it’ll be "Like it never even happened."
The Real Truth About Mold Removal And Mold Remediation
If you discover mold in your home or business, contact the mold removal experts at SERVPRO of East Windsor.
Many contractors and even mold removal companies will try to confuse you as to the difference between mold removal and mold remediation. Some will try to tell you that for a small mold issue, you can get mold removal, but for a larger more dangerous issue, you’ll need a more complicated, and expensive, mold remediation. Out of fear, many will choose to go with remediation and spend the extra money. That makes sense, mold can be extremely dangerous, causing severe illness and other problems, but the fact is that mold removal and mold remediation are interchangeable terms that mean the same thing!
Mold is endemic in our environment, meaning you can find it almost everywhere that water and oxygen are present. While some mold, such as the mildew in your shower (when in small quantities,) are considered “cosmetic mold” and can be simply sprayed with bleach, other types of mold (and even mildew when it spreads,) can become dangerous and toxic.
Certified Mold Specialists
SERVPRO of East Windsor has certified mold remediation technicians that can not only help to identify and properly remove the mold in your home, but they will also locate the source, and eradicate the cause of your mold issues.
When you find mold in your home, make sure that your mold professional can explain the mold remediation process in simple terms. Many small mold issues should not be expensive to handle. Moldy drywall is one example. If the affected area is small, it should not be a tremendously expensive fix. The most important issue with small drywall fixes happens once the damaged section is removed. It is imperative to ensure that spores are not spread further, so great care must be taken with the disposal of affected areas. If the technicians you hire use extremely technical terms to frighten you into tremendously expensive treatment options, be wary.
When you call SERVPRO of East Windsor, we will carefully inspect your property to ensure that not only are all mold issues are addressed, but also that we locate the source of the issue, and eradicate it. If we do find an issue that needs to be addressed, we will use specialized filtration equipment to capture microscopic mold spores that may be in the air and to prevent them from spreading during removal.
In addition to mold removal, we also specialize in cleaning your belongings and ensuring that they are sanitized and safe to use. Should major restoration need to be done, we can also handle reconstruction and finishing to ensure that you are back to normal as quickly, and cleanly, as possible.
Mold doesn’t have to be scary, so don’t let an unqualified contractor or “specialist” make it into a nightmare.
Mold from a water damage that wasn't addressed timely.
Microscopic mold spores naturally occur almost everywhere, both outdoors and indoors. This makes it impossible to remove all mold from a home or business. Therefore, mold remediation reduces the mold spore count back to its natural or baseline level. Some restoration businesses advertise “mold removal” and even guarantee to remove all mold, which is a fallacy. Consider the following mold facts:
- Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
- Mold spores are microscopic and float along in the air and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
- Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
- Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise, the mold may return.
- Mold often produces a strong, musty odor and can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
- Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.
If your home or business has a mold problem, we can inspect and assess your property and use our specialized training, equipment, and expertise to remediate your mold infestation.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call us Today - 609-443-9110